Friday, January 5, 2018

PROTEIN SMOOTHIE + NEW YEAR GOALS

Another year has passed us by, and I can't believe it! 2018 is going to be a good year; I can feel it. This year, my resolutions / goals are simpler, and I'm spacing them out in order to not overwhelm myself. In 2018 I will:

  • Remember that food is MEDICINE for my body and I need to treat it that way. I will fuel my body with healthier foods. 
  • I will view working out the same. Rather than losing x amount of pounds, I will consistently remind myself that it is fueling my body and increasing my quality of life, from the inside out!
  • Remember that perfectionism breeds procrastination, so I am going to focus more on completing tasks and not being as hard on myself to make everything "perfect"
  • I am going to serve more people, with more kindness and love
  • I will focus on not holding back when I think of a compliment for someone--even if they're a stranger. We need more kind words in our world!
  • I am a creature of CHANGE, and want to become more of a creature of habit! So many things are about making habits, such as: healthy eating, working out, getting plenty of sleep, being productive at schoolwork. This year I will work on establishing good habits and keeping them!


In addition to many of you kicking off the Near Year by starting my juice cleanse, I have received questions about other things I do to stay fit and healthy. One of the most important things I can emphasize is that most Americans don't eat enough protein every day--especially moms! The Dietary Reference Intake is 0.36 grams per pound. This amounts to 56 grams per day for the average sedentary man, and 46 grams per day for the average sedentary woman. Pregnant women need at least 70 grams per day. That's a lot. Did you know that your body uses protein to build and repair tissues, make enzymes, regulate hormones and other body chemicals? Protein is such an important building block--hair and nails are almost entirely made of protein. The following list are some symptoms that your body is lacking protein:



  • A sluggish metabolism
  • Trouble losing weight
  • Trouble building muscle mass
  • Low energy levels and fatigue
  • Poor concentration and trouble learning
  • Moodiness and mood swings
  • Muscle, bone and joint pain
  • Blood sugar changes (that can eventually lead to diabetes)

I don't know about you--but I definitely don't eat my proper protein intake every day (I sense another resolution coming on)! Foods like chicken, milk, eggs, nuts, cottage cheese, quinoa and kefir are good sources of protein, but they're not enough on their own. A quick, delicious way to fill your body with protein is a shake. However... we all know protein shakes can tend to taste grainy and hard to muscle down. I've got a little secret hack for you today--my favorite protein shake recipe that you can pack your daily greens and protein into, all while tasting like dessert.





CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER PROTEIN SHAKE

- 1 large banana
- 1 cup Silk almond milk
- 6-8 ice cubes
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- 1/2 scoop organic PB Fit powder
- 2 scoops (20-40g) IdealLean protein powder
(Chocolate Coconut or Chocolate Brownie)
- 1 tbsp raw organic honey (optional)





Blend and enjoy!
IdealLean protein powder is the best I've found, and those who have bought it on my recommendation agree wholeheartedly. The other ingredients can be found at Costco!


Here's to kicking the New Year off and fueling our bodies right! Hope you enjoy! :)

Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment